Pink Phizz

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Trolly pushers

One of the places that I am getting so that I absolutely detest going to is the supermarket. I don't know why, but here in our part of England, going to the supermarket seems to be the favorite outing for just about everybody on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays. I have never seen supermarkets quite as popular a place, unless it's stocking up for a blizzard when I lived up North or a hurricane when I lived in Florida. Here it's a weekly thing, a real family affair.

Friday, the noise was deafening. There was this one kid, who was able to reach that one note that can send a sane person right around the bend. I can't figure out how she was able to maintain that note for so long; but she did. Then we had the kids that thought that the isles were a great place for playing tag or hide-n-seek. Felt so sorry for the old folks slowly pushing their carts around. By the looks of their teetering and tottering, I knew that they would be the last people we would want to get behind while driving home.

The supermarket is just about the only place where you can go into with a sunny disposition and leave wanting to shoot everybody in sight. There is a word for it, it's called going postal, it certainly applied to me by the time we left.

Maybe that's why I send Krip most of the time. He is a curmudgeon all of the time, so is able to take it all in stride.

7 Comments:

At 5:28 PM , Blogger Shooting Parrots said...

Don't get me going on supermarkets! The one thing I want to know is why when people step to the right to look at something on the shelf, they push their trolley off to the left blocking the entire aisle?

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Have you ever noticed that some people just kind of stop and stare at the items just like they are stoned or something.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Fred said...

We lived in Gerrards Cross and only had the small high street shops. They were terrible. Instead, we always drove to High Wycombe just to shop at a larger store. I think it was Tesco, but it was sooo much better!

 
At 3:08 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Ummmmm - that person standing and staring? That would be me. I'm addled ya see. Addled!!

My favorite time to grocery shop is in the middle of the night. Thankfully there are several grocery stores close that are 24/7.

Love to grocery shop even in the day, though. I love to shop no matter what. Love to unload all those bright, shiny packages and put them in my cupboards.

 
At 4:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh and i thought it only happens over ere in Singapore, on weekends also - whereby not only the bairn's play hide & seek along the aisles, new-born babies and the obligatory filipino/indonesian/wotsit domestic helpers are in tow as well. but people here are too "polite" to voice their displeasure it seems.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger krip said...

Maybe that's why I send Krip most of the time. He is a curmudgeon all of the time, so is able to take it all in stride.
I take umbrage to that accusation...

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Shoe fits quite nicely, doesn't it Krip.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home