Pink Phizz

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

'Um, batter up...I think

Krip and I are going to a cricket game huh, match today after he gets home from work. I think I'm excited.

And, I know I'm not supposed to do this (because Krip is constantly telling me so), but I still equate cricket to baseball. I know, I know before my British bloggers start screaming at me, it's not anything like baseball. We throw the ball, they bowl the ball (but not like bowling down an alley, it's being thrown in the air and then has one bounce), and it's the wickets that count, but then it's outs that count in baseball. Both games do use bats, the wooden kind, not the flying kind. And we both do run, when the players manage to hit the damn ball. And...both can be very dull in between the periods of excitement.

So, yes, cricket is not like baseball, but it's the only game I can come up with that's anywhere remotely similiar - but not. This here is becoming my bible on cricket. It is an American translation of a basically British game, by an American, for Americans, who want to even remotely understand the game of cricket.

I do realize that it's not rocket science, and one of these days, I will be able to stop thinking like an American and start thinking like a Brit, at least where the game of cricket is concerned.

Hmm, maybe there's hope for me yet.

5 Comments:

At 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ta muchly for the link Alice! now it's about time i learn as much as i can about the sport. re baseball - at least it's a tad more "tolerable" sitting through a game - 3 hours! :D

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, I rather gasped when I found out eight hours...an eight hour game!! Damn, if that isn't long.

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger Fred said...

I went to two matches, and still couldn't figure it out. I tried, I really did.

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Holy crap. It sounds very complicated but now that I've been introduced to it I'd like to watch it for, maybe, 2 hours.

Amazing that they play for that long - and then for that many days.

I have a low tolerance for baseball. The only time I found it interesting was many, many years ago when the Phillies were in the World Series.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger sameer said...

nice post thank for sharing this.
T20 World Cup 2020 Fixture Download
T20 World Cup 2020 Schedule Download

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home