Pink Phizz

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

**"Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"**

So all day long I have been playing music that I have downloaded, what a treasure-trove of memories I have dug up. Right now I am listening to Sam Cooke; dreamy, is all I can describe his Blue Moon.

Wish I could figure out my musical taste. I have managed, at least for now, to narrow down a field of 243 songs that I like, and some frankly I really love. I really like Free Bird by Lynard Skynard, White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, and Led Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven; however, Harry Chapin's Mr. Tanner and A Better Place To Be really makes me want to cry. I really can't think of any Harry Chapins songs that I don't like; but those two are my absolute favorites of his.

Here is where I become a little irratic in my favorites: I love Mike and the Mechanics, The Living Years and yet I really like Merle Haggard's Okie From Muskogee...weird right?

Not weird enough for you?

Okay, so how about Waylon Jennings' Lucille and The Doors' The End; or The Kinks' Lola and Randy Newman's Short People. If those selections don't rock your socks, here are really two zingers...
Roger Whittaker's For You Are Beautiful and Steppenwolf's The Pusher.

Hmmm, wondering if music is like glancing Through the Looking Glass of one's life.



**Can anyone guess who sang the song that's the title of this entry?**

8 Comments:

At 7:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Living Years" didn't strike a chord when it was first released until a few weeks after my dad's passing that i broke down upon hearing it. Not that i didn't see eye to eye with him, but was glad that i learnt alot of my ancestral village and wotnot in china from him, just a few month's before. Still, i wished i could do more than that. like learning to speak his dialect which is part of me after all.

as with the kinks' lola - i started humming the tune when i first learnt my uncle's wife's sister is called just that. lola.

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Lot's of people identify memories via smells, like my Mom used to wear Chanel No. 5, and when I smell it, I think of her (I've always loved it, so I have a bottle too); however, music does it for me. I hear a song and I can tell you where I was or what I was doing when I first heard it.

 
At 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah chanel no. 5, my favouriest too. and chanel mademoiselle, the rose base especially...

funnily enough, i can clearly recall exactly where i was and what i was doing also of tunes i first heard whilst in the UK. and when i hear them over here, tears start to well up. "homesickness" i guess.

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Awwww, bless.

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger Fred said...

Your musical tastes are similar to mine. Nothng recent, all 70s and 80s rock. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

 
At 6:41 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

My husband says it was Kenny Rogers and The Association.

Music brings up strong recollections for me, too. I get all emotional when I hear some tunes.

 
At 8:48 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Oh, monicar, give your husband a great big kiss. He is right! Just dropped in... is one of my favorite songs, and your hubby is the only other person who has even heard of the song, much less when Kenny Rogers was The First Edition.

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Paddy is a music fanatic. He has all this trivia stored in his head and I can't understand how he keeps it all in there.

I have too much to do! I would never even try to remember any of it.

He just got his big kiss! :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home