Pink Phizz

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

You're speaking English, aren't you?

Okay, since I really have nothing to write about today and since I have both American blogging friends and British blogging friends, I think I will give a lesson in the "British" English language so that the Americans will know what the Brits are actually saying. Now, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, I am still stumbling along after almost three years living in England, but here goes:

biscuit = cookie
flannel = wash cloth
washing up liquid = dish soap
fanny = vagina
bullocks = shit, etc.
bollocks = balls (and I'm not talking about footballs)
telling porkies = telling lies
trousers = pants
knickers = women's/girl's underwear or panties
pants = underwear
jumper = pullover sweater
chips = fries
crisps = chips
sarnie = sandwich
buttys = sandwich(s), i.e. bacon butty = bacon sandwich
sweets = candy
boiled sweets = hard candy
lollys = lollipops or suckers
ice lollys = popcicles
fizzie water = soda water, i.e. club soda
lorries = trucks (semi's)
boot = trunk (car)
people carrier = vans
push chair = strollers

Americans tend to use 'name brands' as words, i.e, Kleenex and Xerox, to describe what we need or an action, where Krip says 'tissues' and 'copy machine.'

I know that there are more, but I can't think of any. Since I have been here a month, my brain is slipping back into Americaneaze. So feel free to add on.

I know that Krip and I will be back to "What??" for a few days when I get back [on Thursday, BTW, Hooray!!!]

14 Comments:

At 3:42 PM , Blogger krip said...

It's BOLLOCKS dufus - doh!

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Thank you Krip. I also forgot to put down your two favorite phrases:

"spitting feathers": I'm dying of thirst, make a cuppa tea for me will you sweetheart?

"my gut thinks my throat's been cut": I starving to death, fix me something will you sweetheart?

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger sandy said...

Thanks for the "English" lesson. We are indeed a people seperated by a common language.
Long Live the British!

 
At 3:55 AM , Blogger Gina said...

thanks for the education ..LOL

 
At 5:39 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

These are very helpful - thank you!

I had no idea Bollocks meant shit.

Never heard of 'push chair' either.

 
At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh how about these, Alice:
pavement = sidewalk
kerb = curb
tap = faucet
pram = stroller
flat = apartment
lift = elevator
car park = parking lot

erm that's all i could think of at the mo.

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Yeah, those too.

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

OMG! My neighbors (most natives of Philly) call the sidewalk 'pavement'.

Every time they do it I have to bite my tongue. Can you imagine, me? Biting my tongue? LOL!

 
At 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm, that may explain why philly folks are the butt of many jokes, Monicar? even bostonian's speak "differently", if my memory serves me correctly.

btw you'd say road intersection instead of road junction, right?

 
At 3:28 AM , Blogger The Sparky said...

Hi Alice Re Bollocks = Balls, not shit !
You might curse if you do make a mistake and say this word out loud to yourself.
Or you could you use it quite severely and say your speaking a load of Bollocks with someone your in disagreement with. spelt with the O not U. Hope this helps

 
At 7:59 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Thank you sparky, Krip corrected me on everything to do with bollocks. I never seem to be able to spell it correctly either! Bollocks

 
At 10:24 PM , Blogger The Sparky said...

Hi Alice and Krip
Alice I have taged you via Monicar's blog, you now have to list all your favourite books! Sorry,

I could not complete this tag on my site as I have no comment section at the moment, but I have left an answer on Monicars.

 
At 2:39 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Intersection it is.

I have relatives in Boston. They are a strange crew in that part of the US. I've heard them called 'Massholes' before. (many times...)

Very strange area Philly is, too. Much more down to earth and gritty than Boston. I like it here now although it took some getting used to.

Now I'm very confused about bollocks and bullocks. Didn't know they were 2 different things.

As for the tag - the questions are on my blog...under the tagged entry. Bolded are the questions and you provide your answers and then tag someone else. Normally you would make your tag answers as a new entry. It's a pain in the ass - I'm sorry.

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Hmm, well, what's going to be a pain in the ass (arse) for me is coming up with actual book titles. I have favorite authors rather than book titles; however, give me some time, and I will try to come up with some.

Hmmmm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home