Pink Phizz

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Cause for a rumble

There are three PC references that absolutely drive me nuts.

1. "Partner": Why does everyone say this? There are sports that have partners; i.e., golf, bowling, etc. There can be "partners in crime." A partner in card games; i.e., bridge, spades, etc.One can even have a business partner. But romantically? It just absolutely drives me nuts to hear, "my partner;" his partner;" or "her partner." Oh for fucksake! These people can be your husband or wife; boyfriend or girlfriend; fiance; or just good old live-in shag. But partners??? Give me a break!

2. "Baby on Board": These signs were in the States a couple of years ago, and now they are the rage in the U.K. They drove me nuts a couple of years ago, and they are still driving me nuts. Like I am going to drive any differently because you believe you need to advertise what you are hauling around in your car. Next the same people will be announcing the fact that their partner and the driver is hauling around a baby on board for crying out loud!

3. "At the end of the day": This just tops it. I was listening to a news item on Fox this a.m. and it was taking place in Aruba. Guess what the person said during the interview. Yep, you got it...'at the end of the day.' The guy lived in Aruba, a native of Aruba, not a tourist. Damn. Can't even get away from that phrase in Aruba of all places. What's this world coming to, I ask. It's everywhere. Must be air-borne, like pollen. What a horrible phrase.

All three of these things are prime examples of political correctness and they are enough, just by themselves, to drive a person right around the bend. So at the end of the day, I'd like to take my partner, grab some snot nose kid off the street so I am able to put a sign on the back window of our car announcing baby on board, and get the hell outta Dodge.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, there's no chance that your partner would have 'baby on board' in our car. Is there????

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Uh, no.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home