Pink Phizz

Friday, May 19, 2006

Remember these.

So last night, reading in bed, I come across a real flashback. How many out there remember S & H Green Stamps? Your mom, grandmother, or even you saved up these little green stamps to purchase different items.

I turned to Krip and starting talking to him about green stamps and he informed me that he remembered them. That was a surprise for me, not that he remembered them [that in itself is a revelation because he tends to have the memory of a goldfish], but I didn't know that green stamps were also on hand in the U.K. just like in the States.

What's even more amazing is that, while the physical green stamp is long gone, having faded away in the 1970's, you can still collect green stamps-aka-green points now on the internet . And if that's not enough, if by any chance you might have some books tucked away in cupboards or drawers, you can still redeem them 30+ years later at the S&H Greenpoint Web Site.

Go figure.

8 Comments:

At 8:53 AM , Blogger Peter Yokoyama said...

I remember Green Stamps! They were usually found in my mother's sewing kit.

But I did not know it was from the United States... The Green Stamps that ended up in my mom's sewing kit came from a super market in Shizuoka, central Japan...

I wonder if the stamps are still distributed in Japan...

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Dunno, but you can always go online at that website I gave. Cheers!

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger krip said...

"memory of a goldfish"? :O

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger Alison said...

i remember them too, think it was my mum and grandmother who used to save them - didnt know they had them in the US...

I know how Krip feels! its my short term memory thats the problem - i get called Dory (from Finding Nemo)...On my way to work i have terrific ideas for blog posts but by midday ive forgotten them all :-/

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I remember Green Stamps. Oh I used to love them - I would help to put them in the books. I loved the Green Stamp store too.

I have to go check out that website!

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Shooting Parrots said...

Ours were Green Shield Stamps, little gummed things that you licked and stuck in a book. There was a catalogue of household items each costing so many numbers of stamps. In fact, here they are. Didn't realise it was the forerunner of Argos.

 
At 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blast from the past! After viewing this post, I had to call Mom to see if she still had these green stamps.

I also recall Mom showing me some blue stamps, not sure what they were used for.

 
At 3:46 AM , Blogger Mike's America said...

We used to have a drawer full of them. Somehow I always got the job of pasting them all in books. I can't remember anything we ever got with them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home