Pink Phizz

Sunday, August 21, 2005

No more firm buttocks



With interest I read in today's newspaper an article written about Madonna falling off a horse. More precisely, it was about falling off horses in general. Unfortunately for Madonna, even though she had all the right gear on and looked quite smart in it; had the horse, which incidently was loaned to her, she hadn't a clue what to do with it. Having several lessons does not make one qualify as an expert rider. Or, as in Madonna's case a horsewoman of the genteel class.

I, myself, have owned two horses. One was a Five-Gaited Saddlebred named Cody, and the other was a Three-Gaited Standardbred named BJ. I was actually taught to ride on Cody; I rode him for five years. As much as I loved him, I knew that he was just too much horse for me. I seemed to be aging and he seemed to remain young and spirited. I hurt myself badly riding him. And even though, over time, I had fallen off of him only two or three times, thankfully, I never did break any bones. However, my last fall found me managing to pull and cause stress fractures in all my back muscles that to this day still leaves me with a twinge or two at times.

Because of this, I sold Cody to a rider who knew how to handle him, and bought BJ. She was a dream, but you know? It took me quite a long time to fully trust myself on even her after that. I was always afraid that I would hurt my back again. I was no longer a confident rider. I was always apprehensive about going beyond a canter or trot. As for BJ's part, she really never wanted to go beyond a canter or trot either, so we were a match made in heaven. We both appreciated the leisurely pace of just strolling. BJ seemed to be able to read my mind, to know exactly what I wanted, and that my friends is a gifted horse. The day I had to sell her to move here to England was not a happy one, I must admit.

And so my days of galloping across fields are definitely over. My back has paid a huge price for that. Maybe somewhere out there there is a horse with my name on it. A nice gentle very old giant just for me. We can amble into the sunset together. Both being retired from the same thing...riding fast and loose.

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM , Blogger Fred said...

I've been horseback riding once in my life. I was so sore after that adventure that I have never done it again.

Madonna on a horse? There's a laugh.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Krip says he has never ridden a horse, and will never get on one either.

 
At 5:33 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

How sad you had to sell your horse. Horses actually.

Horses scare me to death. This is from a girl who used to jump on the horse in the field down at the end of the block. She wasn't MY horse but we all used to ride her bareback.

I can't deal with horseback riding. It's in the same category as camping in a tent. Not any more.

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Laura said...

monicar: Camping, to me, is staying at a Motel 6. And I very much doubt I will ever have another horse.

hick: The trouble with people like Madonna, they are always trying to be something/someone they're not. This one came back to bite her.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home