Pink Phizz

Monday, January 30, 2006

Monday's musings.

Well, as you can tell, we didn't win the £100,000,000. jackpot; however, it's so comforting to know that no one won the big pot either. Having the pot going for approximately £125,000,000. next week is, in some ways, rather an obscene amount, don't you think? Oh well, Friday's only four days away, and who knows we may hold that winning ticket [chuckling here while I write this].

I walked more than five miles today; back and forth to the gym, taking Barney to and through the woods, and back and forth to the post office. I'm tired of walking. I'm tired today, period. I woke up with a scratchy throat, bad omen.

While cleaning the house today, I had some idiotic show on that had an American contestant. She sounded just like a presenter on a show here in the UK called "The House Doctor." Obviously, by her accent, this woman hails from Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan. God, was her voice irritating! Oh well, we all can't have that lovely southern drawl that I possess [smirk].

I was reading up on the driving test here in the UK. For my American friends, did you know that you have to use your "emergency brake" for everything including an emergency? I guess, on the test whether you have an automatic or a manual (stickshift), you have to use the emergency brake for braking at a traffic light, waiting at roundabouts, and even if you are going to turn around in the street ~ anotherwords apparently for what, five seconds on upwards. The more I read about this test, the less and less I'm inspired to take up driving here. Oh well, until we invest in an automatic, there is no chance that I will chance it. And this is a weird statement from someone who has driven manual all my driving life.

Anyway, what's the other thing I was going to mention. Oh yeah, it's nice sometimes to be the "only American in the village." At least when I go to the post office, I don't even have to tell them where I want to mail a letter/package to. The post mistress automatically asks. That's rather comforting in a strange sort of way.

6 Comments:

At 7:33 PM , Blogger The Crafty Cruiser said...

Do you talk like Scarlett O Hara?
I won £7-40p.

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger Fred said...

Was I supposed to take a driving test? I was there for over two years on my U.S. license. I guess it's a good thing I was never stopped.

Sorry you didn't win. Now, get out there and buy more tickets.

 
At 5:38 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Alice - I don't think I could handle driving on the opposite side of the road and having the stick shift on my left much less having to use the emergency brake every time for braking!

Are the pedals atleast in the 'right' place? Gas pedal on the right?

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Laura said...

birdie ~ Ah, you were one of the lucky ones. Seems like you should have won more than that considering how big the pot was. Now you can just pile it back in for more tickets.

fred ~ Technically, you can drive for six months on a U.S. license. Of course, you were working here, so you probably could have gotten away with it anyway. Strange how you don't have to carry it around with you while driving, don't you think?

Monicar ~ That's why I don't drive here. I just can't fathom the stick on the other side. And yes, the pedals are in the same order. Having to worry about round-a-bouts, very very small parking spaces, the wrong side of the road, and the narrow lanes are just too much while trying to use my left hand.

And how I miss driving too.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Oh birdie, well I've been told I have quite a twang. I think if I was able to describe my accent, it would be a combination of the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida; since I previously lived the most in those states especially as a child where you tend to form your speech identity (does that make sense?).

 
At 6:21 AM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I love to drive. Sounds weird doesn't it? But it's true. Especially a big giganto car like a Lincoln.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home