Pink Phizz

Monday, January 09, 2006

Jumping on that treadmill.

A couple of months ago we signed up to a brand new gym called Roko and now that it's all completed and the first rush of people have already arrived to work their little buns off, Krip and I decided to mosey down yesterday to test out the machines, etc.

Well, the gym is wonderful. All nice and computerized. Now I'm not saying that I'm computer slow; however, I did find it all a bit daunting to say the least. I have 13 machines that I am suppose to work out on. I did only nine of them because I found myself spending much of my time trying to figure out where each was located and how to figure out how to key in my personal info at each machine. For instance, you are suppose to put in the amount of weight you want to lift at each place, get your seat adjusted and such. Then you are suppose to extend and retract and set each of those postitions on the keyboard so that the next time, when you use it, it will be all computed for you. Sounds easy, right?

Wrong.

While you are extending to your max or retracting to you minimum, how in the hell are you suppose to be able to press the "OKAY" key at the same time? I felt a little bit like Lucille Ball in some of her routines, trying to balance the weights with one hand and quickly pressing the OKAY pad with the other. God only knows what I have set up most of machines to do for me.

So today when Krip and I go down there, I am taking a print out copy of the machines I'm suppose to be using with me and marking off which machine I have used so that I don't have to constantly run back and check which one I haven't gone to if the one I am suppose to go to is busy. We are also going to go in the evening...ugh. I hate going in the evenings.

Also, as an American we are used to weighing ourselves using pounds and ounces. Over here in England, they tend to use stones. That's 14 pounds to a stone. I've had no trouble computing that little tidbit. Now that the UK is tripping over themselves to align themselves with the EU, a lot of the scales are not using stones anymore, but kilograms. So now this little American has to convert my pounds to stones and now to kilograms. The only upside to all this is that one pound = 0.453 592 37 kilogram, so that being said, say one might be around 115 pounds, or eight stone three pounds, or 52.163 122 55 kilograms.

Bloody 'ell, I feel lighter already. Heh.

3 Comments:

At 4:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whilst in the UK, whenever i asked for directions, i was told "100/200 feet away" away. being used to the metrics, i was like, "right. help!".

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Oh, I HATE metric!!! Give me pounds, ounces, feet, inches, yards anyday of the week.

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger James G. said...

I felt a little bit like Lucille Ball in some of her routines

You just made me recall that hilarious Saturday Night Live skit which parodied Lucille Ball working on an assembly line and putting whipped cream and a cherry on the nose cones of nuclear bombs...

Just thought I'd share that...

BTW, I got my black-eyed peas for New Year's Day from Sainsbury's as you recommended.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home