Pink Phizz

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Stranger than fiction



Something strange occurred early yesterday evening. At first I couldn't put my finger on it. Started to believe that I was on some sci-fi, low budget, movie set. All these children came streaming out of their homes, blinking and rubbing their eyes at the daylight like a bunch of baby moles. Then it dawned on me. Since we were having an electrical storm, a lightning bolt had hit something, which caused us to lose our electricity.

All over the neighborhood, kids streamed out of their homes because there was no electricity to generate the boob-tubes, the computers, the various types of video games, etc. Somehow, most of them actually managed to dig up their bikes, skateboards, and other outdoor playthings. And a small miracle took place, they played. They actually remembered how to ride their bikes and other things. It was something to behold. It really was.

It's quiet as a tomb outside now. Nothing stirring, not one sound. Nothing.

5 Comments:

At 6:09 PM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

It does get quiet on the block here. I make my kids go out and play. They are hard pressed to find playmates some days and try to con themselves into other kids' houses to play video games. It's too bad - I remember playing outside for hours and hours when I was a kid.

Are you the 'Alice' that comments on ATW? If so I love your comments and agree with everything you've said so far! :-)

Thanks for the birthday kisses for the little one.

Grizzly Mama

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Alfie said...

Ahhhh, the kids are all out and playing on their bikes and stuff. That leaves just the parents indoors, on their own, with no telly....... and nothing to do.

Expect a baby boom around your neighbourhood in about 9 months time......

 
At 8:10 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Alfie, seeing I am visiting my daughter on one of the U.S.'s major army posts, and with the deployments of some of their finest, I can grant you that there has been a major explosion of babies this year. My oldest daughter being one of the new Mama's...that's why I'm here.

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Yes, monicar, same Alice. Thanks for that.

 
At 4:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids playing outdoors? I remember back in the day, kids would play outside all day.


I'm happy to read the kids today had the opportunity to experience that type of activity.

Who knows it might catch on :)

Great post, Alice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home